Hayes Toyota was first established by the late A.G Hayes when he purchased a blacksmith wheel right shop in 1917 .He acquired a motor vehicle franchise in the early 1920′s to coincide with his horse drawn business & went on to become one of the leading country motor dealers between Brisbane & Newcastle, selling many brands including the General Motors range.
Following his retirement in 1951 the business was handed over to his two sons Tom & Reg who managed to obtain the Austin agency which later became BMC & later Leyland Australia.
These were difficult times for the business as Holden and later Falcon took a strangle hold over the industry with the British product often struggling against the fierce competition.
In 1975 the company applied for the Toyota passenger franchise & following their appointment were able to experience for the first time the quality of the Toyota product with new levels of sales being achieved.
Unfortunately Toms sudden death in 1979 & Reg’s decision to retire brought what seemed to be a sudden end to what can only be described as a true pioneer dealership. Both Tom and Reg’s sons were active in the dealership & decided to take up the challenge for the future.
Bert Hayes Jnr. was appointed dealer principal and ably assisted by his cousin Jim carried on the tradition their grandfather’s started.
They were soon appointed Toyota Commercial dealers and soon were engaged in a complete re-building exercise of the dealership.
Today a state of the art dealership stands on the same site as its humble beginning in 1917.
At Hayes Toyota we are proud to have been market leaders in our prime market area every year since 1990.
We have received many of the highest recognition awards from Toyota for sales service & parts including 4 times rural dealer of the year.
Our company history of serving the people of the Tweed Byron region is probably longer than most but above all our grand fathers motto continues with every business transaction we do.